Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I'm attending the Writer's League of Texas Agent Conference this weekend, so I was especially interested in a blog spotlighted in my monthly Sister's In Crime news updates. Ramona DeFelice Long, www.Ramonalong.com a freelance editor, shared her observations concerning the verbal pitch at conferences. Having attended multiple conferences over the past 10 years, I pretty much agree with her about the horrors and stress of what she referred to as the "cattle-call."

I'm paying big bucks to attend this weekend, knowing I will sit in line, waiting for my 10 minute interview with an agent, and hoping it will change my future. This all hinges on my verbal skill at discribing my novel, genre, plot, and hook in approximately one line. Rediculous enough in itself, those who know me recognize I have no memory skills, and I've been told I need to "filter" my output. This said, I plan to write my pertenent information on a 5x7 card, smile alot, and ask questions.

I liked Ms. Long's suggestions to enjoy the conference sessions, learn something, and have casual conversations with agents whenever the opportunity arises. Next week I'll e-mail a query to targeted agents and mention meeting them at the WLT Agent Conference.

I feel so much better now. I think I'll go eat some chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment