Monday, February 28, 2011

Techno Anxiety Attack

"Life is partly what we make of it, and partly what is made by the friends we choose."
Tehi Hsieh

This week I've had the great good fortune to have two different friends hold my hand (the one with the mouse) and help me tackle my electronic presence!

Almost 10 years ago, I went to a marketing seminar and was told a first time author has to do their own marketing. Now, with the advent of facebook and twitter, publishers not only expect a well crafted, perfectly pitched book, they also want to know how large is my electronic reach.
A semi-recluse-writer-type who never figured out my kid's VCR lesson before it was replaced by a home theater system and three remotes, I suffer from electronic angst. This all brings me back to my friends, Jan Rider Newman and Kay Huck who helped me maneuver blogspot and facebook this week; discovering that, an old bitch can indeed learn new tricks.

Jan, my go-to-person for blogspot info, has a great blog, "Beyond Acadiana: Reading, Writing, and Living Well," and Kay is The Queen of facebooking and the Pulpwood Queens Bookclub of Southwest Louisiana. Both women graciously gave me their time, and I'm honored to call them friends.

I reiterate what Albert Schweiter said once, "Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light." Or maybe in my case,

"A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked." Bernard Meltzer

Either way, we're not meant to go it alone.

1 comment:

  1. I wondered when you were going to get back to blogging. We'll never learn all of this techno stuff -- it changes way too fast. Just hang on and enjoy the ride. Jan is brilliant when it comes to this stuff. She's become a real techie. :)

    ReplyDelete